Monday, July 2, 2007

Did I miss that day in civics?

Newsflash from Washington DC. Vice-President Cheney announced last week that he is not required to abide by an executive order to release internal memos and records as the Vice-President's office IS NOT part of the Executive branch of our government! His position is based on the fact that the VP is also the president pro-tem of the Senate, and as such is not subject to the aforementioned Executive order (which of course only applies to an office of the executive branch, of which he has said his office is not a part of! And since he said so, how dare anyone question his authority on the subject!)

Ok. Somebody owes me some big money then! I want my grade adjusted from that civics class I took in high school because I opined the exact same position and my teacher marked it wrong...which then lowered my gpa enough to preclude me from getting in to that better college which ultimately kept me from that high level Halliburton job which would have ended me up in a very highly placed Washington political job from which I could unilaterally RE-WRITE THE CONSTITUTION as I saw fit.

I have to think even hard-core Bushies are shaking their heads and saying "WHAT THE F*%K??? What amazes me even more that the only people who seem to notice and/or care are Bill Maher, John Stewart and others of the comedic branch of our government...(that's right, bet you also didn't know there was a Comedic branch of our government...we learned about it the same day that they taught us that the VP office wasn't in the Executive branch!)

If this literal re-interpretation of our constitutional structure of checks and balances wasn't so egregiously Orwellian, (and of late commonplace) I would almost think that Mr Cheney was having a little joke on us all....I mean really?

Of course, figure this one will ultimately be supported by our Supreme Court (you know that other branch of the government...that one where the Vice President is also the back up Chief Justice and ultimate decider on what is and isn't constitutional???) Oh, I'm sorry. I'm getting ahead of myself. He doesn't issue that press release until next week.

No comments: